Saturday, December 27, 2008

Recipe: Pumpkin-Spice Marshmallows

Note: This post appeared here in my previous blog.

I made pumpkin pie marshmallows!

imgp36001

Actually, they are more like Turkish Delight (or Lokum, as us who have been to Turkey and are extremely cool for that will call it) than anything else. Marshmallows are traditionally airier than is lokum, but made similarly with starch, corn syrup and sugar. I think mine were supposed to come out nice and light but I probably didn’t mix it for long enough. EDIT: After a few days, they are infinitely better and actually taste like marshmallows now!

The recipe I got is from Serious Eats, a favorite source of mine for everything food and foodie. The recipe, found here, is surprisingly easy to make. It’s an original recipe found in the book Marshmallows by Eileen Talanian. They came out so fantastic, I’d love to try other recipes from her book!

The marshmallows themselves only took about 30 minutes for me to make, and I let them set for about 2 hours before I gave up and cut them. I simply couldn’t wait! So sue me. They do taste exactly like pumpkin pie, although I added 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice instead of the varying amounts of individual spices. The recipe seems pretty small to yield the amount that it did; I came away with 135 slightly-larger-than-mini marshmallows by cutting a 12.5×8.5 cake pan’s worth into 15 rows and 9 columns (or 9 rows and 15 columns, depending on how you hold the pan). This recipe is great for those with limited baking supplies because all you really need is a stand mixer. I had to go out and buy a candy thermometer for $15, but that’s about it. And all of the ingredients are pretty much something everyone has at home; even if you don’t, they are things that every grocery store should carry, like gelatin and corn syrup. It’s one of those things where everyone thinks you’re a master for staying home and slaving in the kitchen, and no one has to know what it really took!

imgp3578

imgp3598

My dad’s a huge fan of them so far (I see him sneaking one each time he walks by them!) and my sister said they were ok but I think she’s afraid to admit how yummy they really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment