Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Cupcakes and Hot Chocolate

Today was a fun food-filled day in NYC! I started off shopping for a New Years Eve outfit but couldn't find anything I liked. I was invited to lunch at a good friend's apartment uptown so I stopped off at Batch to pick up some cupcakes for dessert.

Batch is Pichet Ong's bakery which is right next door to P*ong, his restaurant. I have heard good and bad about Batch, but I have to say that the cupcakes and service was amazing. The young lady who helped me was beyond friendly and answered all my annoying questions. I was bringing the cupcakes to a friend who is allergic to pretty much everything on the planet so I was asking ingredient-related questions. She was more than happy to help me. I ended up picking out about a dozen cupcakes of varying flavors.

We went out for lunch at a fantastic diner (standard diner fare, not really worth going into) on the UWS and went back to the apartment to enjoy the cupcakes. Though small, they were incredible. Dense and moist, and fantastic. I had a vanilla-vanilla cupcake with pastry cream filling. Unbelievable is all I can say about it.

I drove home with my dad and on the way we stopped in DUMBO at the Jacques Torres Chocolate Shop and got some of their "wicked" hot chocolate--spiked with chili. Very thick, yet delicious. Not really "hot", but deliciously spicy and smokey. There's a bit of a kick in the back of your throat which actually helps cut through the richness in both consistency and taste. It was a nice snack as we sat through traffic on our way home. It definitely took the full hour-and-a-half for each of us to finish a small 8oz cup. Totally worth it, and not very expensive--about $3.00 each.

No comments:

Post a Comment