Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sick Food

(my current buffet setup. Delish!)


Winter is upon us in full force, so it seems appropriate (and sucky) that I have a cold. I’ve been trying to recover before I return to school next week, so I’d like to share with you some of my favorite things to eat while I’m feeling under the weather.




Chicken Soup

o This one seems obvious—it’s true! The Jewish panacea is up to its old tricks and more delish than ever.

o In our family, my mom makes stock from scratch using whole veggies and a whole chicken (not just the bones!), as well as a nice little sachet of herbs [note-she has yet to spill the entire recipe to me].

o Simmer in a stock pot for a few hours and when done remove sachet, veggies and chicken.

o You can cut up the chicken and veg to put back into the soup, and add matzo balls, of course!

o Unused soup can be frozen in small portions and defrosted for all of those peripheral colds during the springtime!


Miso Soup

o When I’m up at school and sick I love a cup of miso soup while I’m studying.

o Trader Joe’s has a wonderful instant miso that rivals any restaurant’s bowl.

o I try to add some shelled edamame, kale, or frozen peas for a nutritional kick while I’m sick, because we tend to eat less, especially less healthy veggies.


Bananas

o Bananas are great sick food because they have lots of potassium and are easy to get down when you have a sore throat, which is a nice break from eating soup.


Matzo Brei

o Traditionally a Passover breakfast dish, this is also great when you’re sick

o Really easy and delicious! Take two pieces of matzo (I recommend using plain and not egg) and break it up into cracker-sized pieces.

o Soak in water for about 5 min to soften and gently squeeze out excess water. Add to 2 eggs and scramble up in a pan. It's basically scrambled eggs with matzo.

o There is the great sugar-salt debate that has yet to be resolved: I personally like to sprinkle (more than) a little sugar on top while my mom is a firm salt believer. Please do not add ketchup—that is blasphemous. Ok, you can, but only if I don’t have to look at it. Other options are jelly, applesauce or maple syrup.


I try not to eat a whole lot of milk products while I’m sick. I find it messes with my stomach and makes me feel even more lethargic.


I love the really strong menthol-y cough drops, but I try to alternate them in with a delicious chocolate hard candy. It’s easier on my taste buds and makes me feel like a functioning member of society again. The reason I pick chocolate is because 1) it’s chocolate and 2) it’s easier to handle chocolate and menthol (like mint chocolate) than anything else and menthol.


Other tips are: don’t drink alcohol (drinking cough syrup is ok!), get lots of sleep (usually not a problem) and drink lots of water. A lot of people forget to drink water while they are sick. Tea is great but it’s a natural diuretic so you lose a lot of water when you drink it, and OJ is good for colds but has a lot of sugar.



If you are sick too, I hope you feel better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment